We know our students are often very busy during the summer with internships and family vacations and, most bands and orchestras do not meet in the summer. However, there are other opportunities to play. Here are some; some of these programs require applications to be filed by early March, some even earlier, so if at all interested, investigate now.
For Students/Kids of all ages:
- OUSD Jazz Camp
- Cazadero Music Camp: Orchestra, Band, and Jazz – mid June through late August
- Laney Summer Music Program
- Meets on the college campus at the Laney College Music Department and the Laney Theater are back to back and all large rehearsals will take place right on the stage that the performances will occur.
- Laney Jazz Intensive: (all instruments)- Monday, June 15th – Friday, June 25th, 2020
- Wind Ensemble: (wind instruments)-TBD
- String Orchestra: (string instruments)-TBD
For all musicians:
- A five day Chamber Music Workshop is in Berkeley at the Crowden School, July 29-August 2
- Three week-long CSU Humboldt Chamber Music Workshops – starting June 28, July 5, and July 12
- A week-long Ashland (Oregon) Chamber Music Workshop – starting July 12. (Same time & town as the Shakespeare Festival)
- Two week-long California Capital (CSU Sacramento) Chamber Music Workshops – starting July 26 and August 2.
- The Community Women’s Orchestra in Oakland for several years has run sight reading sessions for full orchestra during the summer. Check their web site as summer approaches for details.
- For Brass there are the two week-long Humboldt Brass Chamber Music Workshops, starting July 19 and again July 26
- Additionally, the Amateur Chamber Music Network has an online guide for playing opportunities, not only for chamber music, (double reeds, clarinets, flutes, French horns, strings and piano) but also for other genres: jazz, classical, folk, vocal, etc.
- And check the Amateur Music Network’s listings for music opportunities as summer approaches.
For Concert Wind Bands:
- – The Urquhart Memorial Concert Band, Wednesday nights in Oakland
- – The Walnut Creek Concert Band, Tuesday nights in Lafayette
- – The Diablo Regional Concert Band, Thursdays nights in Martinez
The Find-A-(Concert) Band Directory, published by the Association of Concert Bands, locates concert bands. It can be searched by zip, e.g.
- A week-long Jazz Camp West for kids and adults in La Honda, CA, June 20
- Stanford Jazz Institute offers various programs throughout the summer; kids’ program are also available, starting July 6 thru the end of July
- UC San Diego Jazz Camp
- The California Jazz Conservatory in Berkeley offers summer workshops for kids and adults; schedule not yet available
- San Francisco Jazz
- Downbeat Magazine’s March (paper) issue lists jazz workshop opportunities
- MUSE VIVO Orchestra (Grades 7-12)
- The Oakland Symphony coordinator will come to Oakland Tech to audition string-playing students in the Orchestra in October. MUSE VIVO rehearsals are weekly on Thursdays from 4:30-6pm at Edna Brewer MS (accessible via the 33 Bus in Montclair Village) from October to March. Every year a number of Skyline students participate in the MUSE VIVO Orchestra.
- Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra
- Consisting of nearly 90 talented music students (aged 12-22 years) from 46 schools and more than 30 cities in the San Francisco Bay Area, the Youth Orchestra is open by audition to all qualified young people from Bay Area schools. No musician is excluded for reasons of financial need.
- Oakland Symphony Youth Orchestra maintains a commitment to cultural exchange through international tours every three years. Touring destinations have included many countries in Europe, Asia, and the Middle East. Prior tours have also given students the opportunity to visit and perform in the Caribbean Islands, Costa Rica, Mexico, Cuba, Australia and New Zealand and this year China.
- Oakland EastSide All-star Ensemble
- Music and Leadership Fellowship Program for Middle and High School Students from East Oakland and all OUSD schools are invited to audition. Exceptional music learning and exposure
- Family and community engagement through the arts performance and service learning experience
- Scholarship awards and private lessons are available. Contact email@example.com for information and audition information and dates.
- Berkeley Youth Orchestra
- BYO is a full symphonic orchestra whose mission is to foster the musical abilities and personal growth of dedicated young musicians in grades 5-12 throughout the greater Bay Area by providing a nurturing environment and the highest quality opportunities in both rehearsal and performance in an orchestra setting.